Growing out your Natural Gray Hair … An Update & Some Tips

In the beginning of December, I decided to try to join the #ditchthedye movement and transition to my natural hair color.  It’s been an interesting process, with some ups and downs for sure.  And I’m just sharing my journey with my readers!

 

Curiosity

So in case you missed it, I did some transitional coloring in the beginning of December. But I just went back to the salon this week and decided to skip another transitional dye job, just get a trim …  and … see what happens!  I’m so curious to see what color my hair is now.  How gray is it?  How does the gray mix with my dark ashy blond?  Is it pretty? What’s the texture like now with the gray strands?  So the only way to really tell what I’ve got going on is to stop the dye … and wait.  And wait some more. And I’m not going to lie, it’s going to be awkward.  (I reserve the right to ditch the whole idea and do Lord-knows-what with it!)

Here’s a picture of the situation right now.  The hair closest to my part is my real color, the brownish shade right next to it is the semi-permanent dye from the low lights still fading out, and of course the rest is my platinum bleached hair.

how to grow out your natural gray hair

Reactions

By the way, I’ve gotten mixed reactions for doing this.  I’m getting a lot of support, but also a fair number of women have questioned why in the world I would want to go gray (or gray-ish or “gronde” … or whatever it’s going to be).  It definitely seems to be an issue that divides opinions.  (But you know I’m not afraid of that. After all, I’ve taken the disco collar plunge!).  Another reaction I get is women seeming to feel like they have to explain their decision to cover their gray to me. For goodness sake, I’m all about women doing whatever makes them feel great!

Tips & Ideas

My stylist (Keara at Do or Dye Salon for those of you in San Jose) recommended Celeb Luxury Colorditioner to help with the transition. I’m using it once a week on my bleached areas to tone the platinum blond to a bit more gray. It makes my hair super soft, so I’m loving it just as a conditioner too. It comes in a variety of colors … including some wild ones!  Though I’ve been tempted to play around with some crazy color in the past, I’m feeling drawn to a decidedly more simple aesthetic right now.

Found it several places (at different prices):

Another helpful tip, if you usually do a straight part, try a messy side part instead.  This will make the colors look more blended together with the line of demarcation looking less defined.

And … I’ve been starting to pull out my hats! I have some cute ones that I never wear and what a great time to play around with them! And of course it will be fun to have a good excuse to shop for some fun new ones!

How about cutting my hair? Some people have mentioned this would be the ideal time to try a pixie cut!  I’m not quite up for that, though I adore it on others!  Would you do a pixie? Maybe when the new growth is long enough for a bob, I might chop it off!  By the way, the internet says that hair grows about a 1/2 inch per month.  Which means I’m only about 16 months away from a bob.  Oh my gosh, I never should’ve done the math!  That thought is dismal and might make me change my mind! LOL!  Right now my plan is to wait two months so that I have enough growth to really be able to see the color and texture.  And then it will be time to make some decisions!

Most importantly … whatever you have going on, rock it with confidence!  Seriously you can pull off just about anything with a sassy attitude! Am I right?!

 

Fun & Fashion,

Dawn Lucy

 

About the blog: Fashion Should Be Fun is ME talking to YOU, other middle-aged women who are over 40, but not over fashion.  We still want to look beautiful and stylish.  We still want to have fun with trends.  And we don’t need anyone giving us rules, because we’re all different. This is a place for me to share my love of fashion with you, including style ideas, tips, trends, and inspiration. I know how liking the way we look can translate into confidence and energy. I know we have so much life left to live and so much adventure ahead of us. Let’s show the world you’re never too old to have fun and be fierce.

 

The post Growing out your Natural Gray Hair … An Update & Some Tips appeared first on Fashion Should Be Fun.



moda - hawa blgat elalm

إرسال تعليق

0 تعليقات